Thursday, January 1, 2015

Books I Read Last Year (2014)

I made sort of a really loose "resolution" to read a book for every week of the year in 2014.  This was less for caring about reading 52 books exactly than for just making time for reading.  It's my favorite.  And it's the thing I tend to tell myself to do last, after everything else is taken care of.  Partly, I want to be able to relax into my reading, no distractions.  And partly, I feel that because I actually enjoy it, it's inherently irresponsible to choose the book over the dishes.  Or the laundry.  Or whatever.  And so I let it slide and I'm responsible and I do my chores.  But when is everything else taken care of?  Ever?  It ain't.

So, for the last couple of years, I've made reading into a resolution.  And I don't do resolutions, generally, but it at least gives me a reason to keep track so I can look back at the end of the year and see that, yes, I did actually read some books.  Not as many as I have on my to-read list, not even close, but some!  I think I made it to 52 this year.  I had a computer crash somewhere in the middle that made the list I was keeping hard to get to, and my record keeping was somewhat less reliable thereafter.  It's possible I left off a few titles.  Therefore, I've taken the liberty of just adding the two most recent chapter books I read out loud to Essie.  I don't usually include the books I read to the girls, but...I read them.  So, I'm saying it counts (and I'm only counting two of them).  Some of these had been on my to-read list for a while, some are re-reads, some of the them were recommended to me by friends or family, and some were pre-reads to see if they might be something Millie would like.  Those two at the end were read-alouds for Essie.

As For Me & My House by Walter Wangerin, Jr.
Dust by Hugh Howey
The Sherlockian by Graham Moore
Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce
The Yard by Alex Grecian
A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch
Heat Wave by Richard Castle
Codex by Lev Grossman
The Magicians by Lev Grossman
The Magician King by Lev Grossman
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
The Wind’s Twelve Quarters by Ursula LeGuin
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Black Country by Alex Grecian
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Reckless by Cornelia Funke
Fearless by Cornelia Funke
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander
Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
Watership Down by Richard Adams
The Winter Pony by Iain Lawrence
The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The September Society by Charles Finch
The Fleet Street Murders by Charles Finch
Dinotopia by James Gurney
A Stranger in Mayfair by Charles Finch
A Burial At Sea by Charles Finch
A Death in the Small Hours by Charles Finch
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman
The Devil's Workshop by Alex Grecian
The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum
A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
The Clockwork Three by Matthew J. Kirby
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Landline by Rainbow Rowell
The Skin Map by Stephen Lawhead
Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg by Gail Carson Levine
Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand by Gail Carson Levine

No comments: